Devastated owner warns of deadly threat after dog dies


A devastated owner is issuing a warning to others after her dog unexpectedly died after eating something toxic out of her own yard. According to Tuesday’s Fox 8 News, Mary Dlugoz lost her six-year-old dog, “Maggie,” on Saturday after the dog ate a mushroom that was growing in her yard.

Dlugoz lives in North Olmsted, Ohio, and an area veterinarian told Fox 8 that mushroom poisoning is relatively common. Dr. Evan Morse of Warrensville Animal Hospital stated, “It’s a seasonal problem basically in spring and fall we have a lot more mushroom poisoning. The Amanita phalloides is particularly deadly, that’s a common species found here in Ohio.”

Unfortunately, this time of year, mushrooms are not only prolific, but they can be easy to miss in a yard that has fallen leaves.  According to Vet Street, there are five common mushroom varieties that are considered to be poisonous. Those considered to be of particular danger to dogs include:

  • Amanita Muscaria — “Fly Agaric”
  • Amanita Gemmata — “Jeweled Death Cap”
  • Amanita Phalloides — “Death Cap”
  • Helvella Lacunosa — “Elf’s Saddle”
  • Galerina Marginata — “Autumn Galerina”

Since it can be extremely difficult to identify which varieties of mushrooms pose a threat, it is best to keep dogs away from all wild mushrooms. If you suspect that your dog has ingested a mushroom, call a veterinarian immediately.

 
[Source Story: Pet Rescue Report ]